Introducing new flow branching and logic features
- April 27, 2023
- 2 min read
Today we’re super excited to release a set of new features and SDK functionality that enable you to easily develop wizards, checklists, tours, and more with custom branching and logic:
- True / false branch blocks enable branching based on user properties like role and company properties like plan or the number of employees.
- Named paths enable you to transition users down specific paths. You can transition users down paths based on things like user actions (clicked option 1 or 2), user-collected data (like a question during sign-up), system states (e.g. success, complete, failed), or anything else.
- Back paths enable you to define paths that go back in a flow.
- Gate blocks enable you to pause flow progression until all incoming paths have been transitioned, which is useful for creating experiences like waiting until all checklist items are complete before progressing to the next step.
- Updated SDKs and APIs give you access to the block states and flow transitions to make building your user flows even easier. Our SDKs are headless and power your UI components.
These new features further our vision of making it easier for developers to build user flows by providing simple, powerful, and composable primitives that solve the hard problems of managing user states (like keeping track of who should see what), while giving you complete control over development and user experience.
Here are some flows you can build with these new features:
Initial setup wizards
You can build an initial setup wizard that asks your users important questions such as their role, what they’re trying to accomplish, and what integrations are most useful to them. With Dopt’s new named paths and SDKs, you can route users down the right path for them.
Here’s an example of a simple setup wizard flow that routers users to an integration setup based on user selection.
In addition to our flow canvas, the power of Dopt lies in our flexible SDKs. We give you tools to access the state of the blocks in a flow for a user and transition them to the right next step. Our SDKs enable you to use these states in creative ways that simplify development.
For example, you can use block states to dynamically route users to the right wizard step by wiring user interactions to block transitions and tying block states to arbitrary page states, views, or even routes, eliminating the need to develop challenging and error prone-client side logic to determine who should see what.
Our new gate block enables you to pause the progression of the flow until all incoming paths have been transitioned. For example, you might have a checklist with 3 items that can be completed in any order, and you’d like to show the user a screen with the next steps only once all of the checklist items are done, like this:
Tailored product walkthroughs
Our new branching and logic features enable you to create product walkthroughs, tours, and feature calls outs such as:
- Branch on a user property like
user.properties.role == "admin"to show an admin user steps to set up a feature.
- Branch based on a company property like
group.properties.integratoin_set_up == trueto show an integration setup experience when it hasn’t been set up.
- Branch on size of company
group.properties.number_of_employees > 500to direct enterprise users to a high touch sales experience like a “book time with us” feature:
Power and flexibility, all in one platform
All of the new features work seamlessly with the rest of our platform. Dopt’s headless platform manages your business logic and persists user state (keeping track of who has seen what), while our SDKs make it easy to access state and transition flows while you build with your own UI components. These new logic features work with all of the rest of Dopt’s flow capabilities too: targeting based on user or company properties, versioning and migration tools, webhook blocks, and a lightweight in-product CMS to power your in-product content and configuration.
Get started today
To build user flows with custom branching and logic, get started for free. You can also read our docs to learn more.